Tuesday, November 25, 2014

High on Life


I have thought really hard about life and more and more have come to the realization that the older I get, the more fearful I am getting. Not cautious, which is good and comes with wisdom, but down right BORING.

I look back in my life and one of the things I was always proud of is that I tried things. I camped in the Amazon forest, I packed a bag and moved to England. But as a I grew older, all of a sudden, I became really afraid of dying.

I understand that as we get older, we feel less invincible and realize our bones break and our hips may not mend as fast. But I don't want to become someone who is so conservative to the point I stop living.

So here is my own personal challenge: do 1 thing I have never done or would normally never do at least once a month.

I started with the Miami Color Run, which happened last weekend and I would generally not do. But honestly, it was a blast!

What would you like to do that you have never done before?

8 comments:

Terra said...

I have the same thoughts you do, and when young did things easily, like ride an Arabian horse into the mysterious and remote red rock city of Petra, Jordan. Good idea to do things that push our envelopes as we age.

Middle Girl said...

Kudos to you. The most adventure I'm willing to tackle at the moment is starting the day (work day) without a cup of coffee or strong tea.

I am 54 and have been conservative, cautious most--if not every minute of--my life.

I agree, good idea.

Unknown said...

Oh how I love this post!!! I totally agree!!! I also really love your challenge!!! Thanks for such a gift in this post.

oklyous said...

Well done you:)
That is quite the challenge.
My instant thought was, hell no.
But thinking about it, that is what I get told all the time. That in oder to move and get better, I have to keep challening my fears.
For me it is all about people, so I will be challenging myself to see more people and keeping in contact with those.

Jeanie said...

I have missed your posts and visits, Ana. I love this one! Who was it that said do something that scares you every day. I think walking on the ice scares me most (unless it's driving in it). But I don't think I want to do it ANY day!

Sketchbook Wandering said...

This seems to be a natural process that you describe. I actually took some risks later in life that I didn't have the opportunity to take in my youth. Maybe the advantage of more fear with age, is also more awareness of our spiritual condition, so that we may makes choices & step outside of the fear.
I will try your challenge. I do notice that habit & routine are more comfortable these days...and work well for me...

Ileana said...

I want to travel to Barcelona, Positano, Hawaii and Alaska before I kick the bucket. I love your do one new thing a month idea and more realistically, I'd like to try a new food (from one of the many different restaurants we have in Miami) at least once a month...or even a drink, a tea, SOMETHING. I'd also like to try hookah.

sonia a. mascaro said...

I love this post! Congratulations to you!